Thursday, October 08, 2009

Perfect Timing

OK, so today is just a little microcosm of the way my life is going lately. Yesterday, my husband was diagnosed w/ a viral infection and lung congestion. Got some antibiotics and was told to stay home from work until he was feeling better. Our son was sick over the weekend, stayed home Monday and went back to school Tuesday. I had planned to spend the whole week working on my blog and other "personal" projects -- stuff that isn't attached to a paycheck -- but that's a lot easier to do when I'm the only one home. OK, so Monday was not very productive with my son home. He went to school Tuesday, and then the husband came home from work around 10:30 a.m. Two and a half hours of productivity. Wednesday, I started feeling sick myself. Sore throat, monster cough, achy. Yuck. But I pressed on and did what I could. Thursday, today, I knew my husband would be home. Tried to plan for it and get done as much as I could on Wednesday even though I was feeling cruddy. (OK, by cruddy, I mean that my throat felt like I swallowed a tack strip and then someone sharpened a straight razor on it.) Got up and actually felt a lot better. But with both my husband and son home, it's hard to concentrate on my work. So I did a little at the house while it was still quiet, then packed up my laptop and headed to my local cafe. Is it way more productive than being at the house? Umm, probably not. There are probably just as many distractions, if not more, here than there are at home, to be honest. But a change of scenery is sometimes necessary. I know I won't be working out much until everyone is over this viral thing. I'm not sure that I'm over it myself. I tend to err on the side of caution and take it easy a little too long when I probably could be working out. But, my opinion is this: I'm the one who keeps this household running. It's not that I don't trust my husband to do it. I just know that he's got other things to do. He's not going to remember which day our daughter needs to bring her library book to school, or when our son's class project is due. He's not here when they get home from school to ask about their day, see their homework log or class agenda. I am. And that's just part of my responsibilities. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself (wouldn't be the first time), but I like things to run smoothly. And leaving it up to someone else isn't always the solution. So I do it myself.

It's frustrating to feel like I'm losing ground on my big project this week, a project I really wanted to do for me, but I'll just trust that there will be time later on to get back to it. I started feeling a little guilty when I left them both home, sick, and told my husband I wasn't sure when I'd be back. But then I figured that this is probaby keeping me healthier and I shouldn't worry about it too much.

What do you guys do when you get sidetracked like this? Any thoughts?

No comments: