Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Change Is Gonna Come ...

Wow, where does the time go? Just when I think I've got a spare moment, it's gone. I have been working hard at Examiner and other gigs, and have seriously neglected this site, which is tragic because this truly represents why I do what I do. And there are no restrictions here! I can write in first person! Forget about word count! Curse if I want to! (*GASP*) Come on, those of you who know me know I can curse a sailor under a table straight out of bed. Be myself!

Wait, what was that last one? Oh, yeah. Be myself.

And there's the crux of it. Crazy as it may sound, I've been soooooo busy lately that I sort of forgot to do that. The simplest thing in the world. When I started this blog a few years back, it was for a couple reasons. First and foremost, it was to communicate the changes I was going through and, as a verrrrry close second, to help others who had given up on health and fitness. I wanted to show people that there is a better way to go through life than zooming through a drive-thru window or sitting on your ass (does that count as cursing?) and watching sports instead of actually getting up and playing them.

Like many work at home moms, my day is never done. No, that's not a plea for sympathy. Believe me, I could use it, but I have other things to deal with. The point is that I am continually juggling multiple deadlines, in addition to homework supervision, menu planning, grocery shopping, church activities, laundry, etc., etc., etc. Factor in the schedules of the other three members of my family, other numerous obligations, and the stress that has come from our world's financial meltdown and how it's affecting our household, and it's a lot to handle. I feel like I'm stuck in a hole right now and I need to get out of it. Fast. I find one of the easiest ways to deal with it all is to just work my ass off. (oops, cursing again) So that's all well and good when the paychecks roll in. Except I've been neglecting something: Being myself.

So ... with a much-needed break in my schedule, I am taking this week to give my blog a serious makeover. It may take more than a week. But that's fine. I want to do it right and if it takes a little longer, it's worth it. Speaking of what I want:

  • I want to provide good, solid information that everyday people will find interesting and useful.
  • I want to create a community of people who have both succeeded and failed at living a healthy lifestyle and see how we can help each other.
  • I want to share my (eyebrow-raisingly intimate) love for food and demonstrate that it's not a crime to indulge once in a while. Some of the buzz words around here are "sometimes foods" and "all things in moderation." Life is not an all or nothing choice. Just be smart. You can make substitutions. You don't have to agonize. You can eat a smaller portion. Or you can just have the damn brownie, enjoy it, and hit the treadmill later. No. Big. Whoop.
  • I want to gain momentum as I get myself back on track, too. It's been a while since I've exercised regularly. I'm not gaining, but I'm not where I want to be, either. I have dedicated so much time and energy to earning income that I've just let that slide. And I miss it. But every day that goes by, it becomes more of a routine to look past the treadmill and find something else to do. I want to feel that encouragement again and get back to the point where I wouldn't dream of a day without doing at least something to burn a calorie.
  • And most of all, I still want to show others that a healthy lifestyle is possible. For all of us. Myself included.

I have had numerous ideas for this blog over the past several months and haven't made time to write about them or implement them. But that's going to change. I'm hoping to not only get back on a regular writing schedule, but make some major changes in the look of the blog as well. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time but just haven't made time for.

That ends today. Like Sam Cooke sang, A Change Is Gonna Come, and here's hoping it will be better than ever.

No comments: