Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fun Food Time: Tortellini Pizza Soup

I can't stress enough how much I believe in all things in moderation. That's been my mantra for several years now. I'd be lying if I said we ate healthy food for every single meal. That's a goal, of course, but by planning to have "fun food" every now and then, it keeps me from going on a binge. We call it "sometimes food" in this house and by doing so it's taught our kids that there's a reason we don't eat like this all the time.


We love to have theme meals for sports events and such. Tonight's a BSU game and I'm making one of my family's favorites: my Tortellini Pizza Soup. Sorry, the recipe is a secret, but among other things, it includes sausage, pepperoni, tortellini (actually tonight I used ravioli because my grocery store didn't have tortellini), tomatoes, and lots of herbs and other vegetables. Is it the healthiest? *Cough* Well ... *cough* not exactly. But, you can make substitutions: try soy or turkey versions for the meats. I always use low sodium broth and tomatoes. You could double the vegetables, too. Or add spinach, which I never seem to remember to buy when I'm making this.


I usually serve this with an artisan bread that I slice and then top with a little Parmesan and put under the broiler. Didn't have time for that tonight, so I just grabbed a bag of garlic bread. Also great with bread sticks, foccacia, ciabatta, or sourdough.


Did you catch today's Broncos Challege article on Examiner? Today's challenge focuses on agility training. Check it out when you have some time. It includes some cool videos.

No comments: