Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Community Health Fair this Saturday, November 7


For the past few years, it has been my honor to be involved in the Community Health Fair. I'll be honest, when I was first asked to participate, I didn't know what to think. Who me? What could I contribute? Well, it turns out, a lot. I talk about family health and fitness with people from all walks of life. I offer tips to help your family get active, recommend substitutions to make your recipes healthier and meet a lot of interesting people. Some years I hand out samples of healthy snacks. Last year, I got to make my yummy Mexican Tortilla Soup as an example of how you can cook healthy on a budget. It was a freezing cold November day, too, so the soup was a big hit. No one could guess that the secret ingredient is butternut squash, pureed and disguised in the broth. I'll be doing another presentation on healthy meals on a budget again this year. You can read more about the health fair here. It runs from 9 am to 1 pm, and will be located at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church. You can get health screenings, immunizations, and lots of healthy living information. You can even get a chair massage. Read my Examiner article for more details. Hope to see you there!

No comments: